Offer option to download automatic upgrades without Tor
Downloading the upgrade from 1.1 to 1.1.1 took 5 hours. Without Tor, it would take about 3 minutes. So I would actually prefer downloading this non-anonymously. After all it’s clear that I’m using Tails anyway .
|Related to Tails - Feature #14544: Spend software developer time on smallish UX improvements||In Progress||2018-08-31|
#1 Updated by emmapeel 2014-09-07 01:51:23
- Tracker changed from Bug to Feature
- Status changed from New to Rejected
It is indeed longer to download Tails from the Tor network but it is not possible to do it otherwise, because of the security implications this would have.
You can always download the ISO image it from another computer that is not using Tails, and copy the image to a USB stick to upgrade Tails from ISO.
I always choose the Torrent download if I want to be quick, for example.
I hope this helps!
#3 Updated by sajolida 2014-09-08 03:55:36
- Subject changed from Offer option to download Tails upgrade without Tor to Offer option to download automatic upgrades without Tor
- Category set to 178
- Status changed from Rejected to New
- Type of work changed from Code to Discuss
I don’t think that this proposal has other security issues than the one explained by this user: it makes it clear that you are running Tails. So if people are fine with that, why not download the IUK over clearnet?
I searched for a duplicate of this and couldn’t find any.
#4 Updated by intrigeri 2014-09-08 19:36:22
> I don’t think that this proposal has other security issues than the one explained by this user: it makes it clear that you are running Tails. So if people are fine with that, why not download the IUK over clearnet?
> I searched for a duplicate of this and couldn’t find any.
It was well hidden in the blueprint, in the “Random ideas for future improvements” section:
I think we should set the priority to Low, and accept this as something that would be nice to have.
#9 Updated by sajolida 2019-12-04 11:32:38
In my experience in places with poor Internet connectivity (eg. Global South outside of big cities), downloading over Tor still makes a huge difference in terms of speed and reliability (will the connection hang forever?).
In terms of personas:
- Riou might not benefit from this because is case our website and mirrors might be censored. Could we offer this option only if any of our mirrors can be reached over clearnet? It’s unclear whether Riou really needs to hide the fact that they are using Tails, aside from censorship circumvention. It might really depend on the context.
- Cris would definitely benefit from this while travelling. She’s not trying to hide the fact that she is using Tails.
- It might be too dangerous for Kim to download over clearnet in case the network monitoring at home or school detects it. Though speed is a critical issue for them because they have limited time on computers.