Drop support for managing NN.dl.amnesia.boum.org DNS records for mirrors
Years ago, when we switched to requiring HTTPS from our mirrors, we didn’t want to assume mirror operators would be able to get a certificate for a hostname they control, so we offered them to create
NN.dl.amnesia.boum.org DNS A records pointing to their server.
The last mirror that was using this facility was removed from our pool in November 2018.
AFAIK, nobody requested such a DNS record since.
We have no shortage of mirrors.
So, I’m hereby proposing we drop support for managing NN.dl.amnesia.boum.org DNS records for mirrors.
This will simplify the doc for mirror operators, our internal mirrors team doc, and the DNS management code.
- [x] tails.git: doc for mirror operators, design doc
- [x] Puppet: drop support for
- [x] mirrors.git: drop obsolete info from
#1 Updated by intrigeri 2020-04-05 05:02:21
- Description updated
- Status changed from Confirmed to Needs Validation
- Assignee changed from intrigeri to sajolida
- Feature Branch set to doc/17593-mirrors-drop-nn.dl.a.b.o
This branch implements the first step: “tails.git: doc for mirror operators, design doc”. If you agree this is a good move, once this branch is merged I’ll proceed with the follow-up cleanup steps in the other repositories.