Bug #17526

Move tails-persistence-setup to tails.git

Added by intrigeri 2020-03-15 16:30:59 . Updated 2020-03-25 09:01:52 .

Target version:
Start date:
Due date:
% Done:


Feature Branch:
Type of work:

Affected tool:
Deliverable for:



root.diff (29067 B) CyrilBrulebois, 2020-03-24 14:08:29


Related issues

Blocks Tails - Bug #17136: Persistence preset: Greeter settings In Progress
Blocks Tails - Feature #6487: Make persistence-setup's .desktop-files translatable in Transifex Resolved 2013-12-11


#1 Updated by intrigeri 2020-03-15 16:34:58

@CyrilBrulebois, if I haven’t got around to fixing that in time for 4.5~rc1 and 4.5, you’ll have to skip building a new tails-persistence-setup package for those releases (which we would usually do in order to pick up translation updates). No huge deal: we haven’t updated it in 6 months, this can wait a little bit more.

#2 Updated by intrigeri 2020-03-15 16:42:34

  • blocks Bug #17136: Persistence preset: Greeter settings added

#3 Updated by intrigeri 2020-03-18 16:21:30

  • related to Feature #7036: Move custom software to our main Git repository added

#4 Updated by intrigeri 2020-03-18 16:23:44

  • Subject changed from Adapt tails-persistence-setup release process to tails-perl5lib having moved to tails.git to Move tails-persistence-setup to tails.git
  • Parent task set to Feature #7036
  • Type of work changed from Contributors documentation to Code

Actually, I think it’ll be simpler to migrate the t-p-s codebase to tails.git, which we want to do anyway, instead of figuring out how to make the right revision of tails.git available in a Debian package build environment (and then ditch the whole thing once we migrate t-p-s to tails.git).

#5 Updated by intrigeri 2020-03-19 09:47:27

  • Priority changed from Normal to Elevated

(In the current state of things, we simply can not ship fixes in t-p-s.)

#6 Updated by intrigeri 2020-03-20 14:26:01

  • Status changed from Confirmed to In Progress
  • Feature Branch set to feature/17526-import-t-p-s+force-all-tests

#7 Updated by intrigeri 2020-03-20 14:47:33

  • blocks Feature #6487: Make persistence-setup's .desktop-files translatable in Transifex added

#8 Updated by intrigeri 2020-03-21 08:58:42

  • Status changed from In Progress to Needs Validation
  • Assignee deleted (intrigeri)

The branch now builds and passes basic manual testing, so it would be a good time to do a code review.
Please don’t merge yet, though: I’m waiting to see CI pass (ETA: 14:30 CET).

This branch also addresses Feature #6487.

#9 Updated by intrigeri 2020-03-21 12:37:23

Full test suite passed locally. Please review’n’merge into devel :)

#10 Updated by CyrilBrulebois 2020-03-24 14:11:58

  • File root.diff added
  • Assignee set to intrigeri

Here’s my review:

1. packages are going away as expected:

diff -u a/live/filesystem.packages b/live/filesystem.packages
-tails-perl5lib 4.0
-tails-persistence-setup    2.2.1-1

2. files are updated in a way that seems plausible:

sudo unsquashfs -d root-a a/live/filesystem.squashfs
sudo unsquashfs -d root-b b/live/filesystem.squashfs
(cd root-a; sudo find)|sort > /tmp/root-a
(cd root-b; sudo find)|sort > /tmp/root-b
diff -u /tmp/root-a /tmp/root-b

→ local installation


→ artifact due to moving to a local installation AFAICT (same as Tails/IUK)

→ 17 modules (*.pm) moving from /usr/share/perl5/Tails to /usr/local/share/perl/5.28.1/

→ Many manpages moving around.


→ unfortunate, but expected: all localization goes away.


→ no more such packages.

So I’m not seeing anything scary in the resulting list of packages, and filesystem.

The code changes in tails.git look good to me as well (also checked nothing was forgotten from the 2.2.1 tag in the other repository), even if I’m not yet a regular “let’s merge all the things into tails.git” reviewer. The little bugfixes touching/fixing the previous tails-iuk merge makes your usual attention to details rather convincing.

Feel free to double check my assessment above, and to merge into devel once you’ve confirmed everything looks good.

For the avoidance of doubt, full filesystem diff attached.

#11 Updated by intrigeri 2020-03-25 09:00:06

  • Status changed from Needs Validation to Resolved
  • % Done changed from 0 to 100

Applied in changeset commit:tails|f2433d1dec957842811406adf34feb1d86cdb144.

#12 Updated by intrigeri 2020-03-25 09:01:52

Hi @CyrilBrulebois

thanks for the careful review. I’ve merged this into devel and resolved trivial merge conflicts.