opening a Veracrypt volume fails if the passphrase is too long
A user reported that if a veracrypt volume is encrypted with a passphrase longer than 64 characters, it is not possible to open it in Tails. Given it is possible to create such volumes outside of Tails, If it is not fixable, the documentation should at least mention that problem.
|Blocks Tails - Feature #17247: Core work 2020Q1 → 2020Q2: Technical writing||Confirmed|
#1 Updated by segfault 2020-02-12 17:41:50
- Status changed from New to Confirmed
Reproduced and reported upstream: https://gitlab.com/cryptsetup/cryptsetup/issues/532
#2 Updated by segfault 2020-02-18 11:10:56
- Status changed from Confirmed to In Progress
- Assignee deleted (
- Target version set to Tails_5.0
- Type of work changed from Research to Wait
The issue has now been fixed upstream in commit f18cd7ae813cb6732362956565cd1584aa4fe4e9, which should be included in the next cryptsetup release. The most recent version is 2.3.0, so once we get a cryptsetup > 2.3.0 via Debian repos, this will be fixed in Tails (I guess that will be Tails 5.0 based on Bullseye).
#4 Updated by sajolida 2020-04-14 01:10:33
- Status changed from In Progress to Needs Validation
- Assignee set to cbrownstein
- Target version changed from Tails_5.0 to Tails_4.6
- Feature Branch set to web/17474-veracrypt-64-char-passphrase
@cbrownstein: This was super quick to document, so I added it to our view as well.
Here is a branch. Please have a look!