Help Tails users on Mac access right-click menus
Now that I’m a Tails user on Mac (haha!) I realize that I don’t know how to do right-click from Tails on Mac.
We are documenting right-click in several places in our documentation:
- To unlock a VeraCrypt file container (upcoming)
- To verify a Tails image from Tails using OpenPGP
- To calculate checksums of files using GtkHash
- To securely delete files
In macOS I can do Ctrl+click to do right click but on Tails it doesn’t work.
I think at some point I found online an very obscure key combination that’s supposed to work on Linux but since two days I’ve looked for it again and can’t find it again. I bet most of our users won’t find it either.
So my questions are:
- To other Tails users on Mac: how do you do right-click in Tails? Then we should at least make this information easy to find in our documentation.
- To devs: could we consider making Ctrl+click do a right-click in Tails?
NB: Asking people to use an external mouse or avoid right-clicking is not an acceptable option.
Blocks Tails -
#4 Updated by sajolida 2018-07-19 17:02:02
- Assignee set to intrigeri
- QA Check set to Info Needed
Super helpful muri, thanks!
- Fn+Backspace is also how to type “Delete” on macOS, so I’ll blame my ignorance here (and thank you again).
- Two finger tap is also advertised as an alternative to Ctrl+Click on macOS. But I’ll only partly blame my ignorance here because Ctrl+Click is the most documented option.
intrigeri: Do you think it would make sense to map Ctrl+Click to right-click on Tails as well?
#5 Updated by intrigeri 2018-07-22 02:22:29
- Assignee changed from intrigeri to sajolida
> intrigeri: Do you think it would make sense to map Ctrl+Click to right-click on Tails as well?
I have no strong opinion on this but I’m curious about:
- why isn’t GNOME doing this by default on Mac hardware?
- is CTRL + left-click used elsewhere already, i.e. what would this change break?
With my FT hat on, if you tell me it’s the right thing to do, then I’ll take a clean, simple, and Wayland-compatible patch that implements it.
#6 Updated by sajolida 2018-07-26 19:41:44
> * why isn’t GNOME doing this by default on Mac hardware?
I could only find a ticket from 2008 about that:
The information on there is partly outdated.
> * is CTRL + left-click used elsewhere already, i.e. what would this change break?
I realized only now that Ctrl+Click is a standard to toggle a list item
selection, for example in GNOME Files.
So I’ll fallback on documenting this. I was doubting whether documenting
this only in one place, but then I was not sure where, or documenting it
every time we use right-click.
See that we use right-click only in a few places, I’ll try to document
it every time and add it to the style guide.
#23 Updated by cbrownstein 2019-09-25 20:23:03
- Status changed from Needs Validation to In Progress
- Assignee changed from cbrownstein to sajolida
I pushed a single change to my branch. Otherwise, looks good!