#1 Updated by intrigeri 2016-09-11 05:07:47
hi muri & spriver! If you’re interested in helping with this ticket, next steps are:
- wait for adwaita-qt to be in sid
- boot an ISO built from feature/stretch
- install adwaita-qt
- try running our Qt apps with the adwaita style enabled; do we really need to pass a
- report back if/how it works & looks, and if it feels worth it
#5 Updated by intrigeri 2016-11-18 08:37:27
- % Done changed from 0 to 10
- Type of work changed from Test to Discuss
QT_STYLE_OVERRIDE=adwaita in the environment should be enough to make Adwaita the default theme for Qt5 apps. Download size for adwaita-qt + adwaita-qt-data is less than 300kB, which is basically negligible, so this sounds like a quick and easy win.
On the other hand we currently include only one Qt5 app (namely: Audacity). But we’ll soon have another one (OnionShare), and a few more ones might be commonly installed as additional software by users (e.g. VLC and Marble).
So IMO the UX improvement it’s worth the tiny size cost.
spriver, what do you think?
#11 Updated by spriver 2016-11-28 20:52:32
- Assignee changed from spriver to intrigeri
- QA Check changed from Ready for QA to Info Needed
Tested it now with mostly OnionShare and VLC. The GUI looks good at most points now (and blends in nicely into the overall GNOME style). But:
- some menus (e.g. in the section “Video”) which are greyed out without adwaita-qt, are not greyed out with. (they appear as if they’d work, but while hovering over them nothing happens)
- drop-down menus do not pre-select entries while the mouse is being moved over them (e.g. “Effects and Filters → Equalizer → Presets” won’t pre-select entries and has to be scrolled and menu entries have to be selected then manually from the list by clicking on them)
(I can provide screenshots if this is a bit unclear)
So, what should we do about this? Report it upstream? Keep adwaita-qt, despite it has some (minor) GUI issues in e.g. VLC then, but will give the application a look which blends better into the overall appearance of the desktop? (I could not find any other problems in e.g. Audacity or OnionShare) Drop adwaita-qt?
#12 Updated by intrigeri 2016-12-04 08:22:37
- QA Check changed from Info Needed to Dev Needed
Thanks for testing!
Regarding VLC: we don’t include nor support it, the problem you’re describing doesn’t sound like a serious blocker to me, and you’ve seen no such problem in supported apps, so I’m not going to do anything about it personally.
In passing: there’s now adwaita-qt4 (in addition to adwaita-qt), that does the same for Qt4. So I’ll try including that one as well, to style the Qt4 (argh!) apps we still ship consistently.